- Brooklyn AYSO Handbook
- How To Use This Handbook
- Principles Of AYSO
- Who To Contact For Assistance
- Team Assignments
- Game Procedures
- General Rules & Regulations
- Dispute Resolution
- Laws of the Game
- Laws of the Game Q & A
Brooklyn Region 0473 is part of Area A within Section 3 of the American Youth Soccer Organization ("AYSO"). AYSO is a nationwide, nonprofit youth soccer program founded in 1964, whose mission is to develop and deliver quality youth soccer programs which promote a fun, family environment based on the following six philosophies:
- EVERYONE PLAYS - This is the motto of the AYSO organization. Our goal is to enable all children to play soccer. Players are welcome to join regardless of their ability or experience. Minimum playing time for all players in is 1/2 of the game. It is strongly recommended that all children play at least 3/4 of the game.
- BALANCED TEAMS - Within each Division, teams are formed to give them equal strength. It's more fun to play when teams are close in ability!
- POSITIVE COACHING - AYSO is committed to helping children develop healthy attitudes about competition. We INSIST that our Coaches stress the positive. AYSO is committed to providing competitive programs, but that competition must be enjoyable to all involved. The way to make winning children is by building them up, not tearing them down.
- OPEN REGISTRATION - All interested players are welcome to register for the season, limited only by league capacity and not by ability. Interest and enthusiasm are the only criteria for registration. Once the teams are filled or the registration deadlines have passed, children are registered only if additional teams are formed.
- GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP - Our programs are designed to instill good sportsmanship. We insist on a positive environment based on mutual respect, not a "win-at-all-costs" attitude. From its small, local beginnings in 1964, AYSO has become the largest recreational soccer program in the country, with over 700,000 players. Its rapid growth and wide acceptance can be attributed to the AYSO philosophy and to the help of volunteers who administer the program, always conscious that AYSO soccer is FOR THE KIDS!
- PLAYER DEVELOPMENT - All players should be able to develop their soccer skills and knowledge to the best of their abilities, both individually and as members of a team, in order to maximize their enjoyment of the game.
More information on AYSO can be found on the AYSO Home Page
AYSO is open to all players from age 5 to 18. Players are divided into Divisions by age group, as follows:
|AYSO Division||Player Age||Previous Name|
|U-19 Division||16-18||Division 1|
|U-16 Division||14-15||Division 2|
|U-14 Division||12-13||Division 3|
|U-12 Division||10-11||Division 4|
|U-10 Division||8-9||Division 5|
|U-8 Division||6-7||Division 6|
|U-6 Division||5||Division 7|
|U-6 players must be 5 years old by Dec. 31|
All players are placed in Divisions by birth date. Exceptions to this policy during the Fall season are increasingly rare and can only be made by the Regional Commissioner. Older children can never play in a younger division.